Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jo

 The inspiration:


 My dress:


(here's a pic before I finished the neckline... I have a shortage of time, so I got it from a previous post.)


There were a lot of things I realize I should have done with this dress.
1) I should have gathered the skirt with a large machine stitch, rather than pleats.
2) I should have made the sleeves wider.
3) I should have done the undersleeves (but I didn't once I realized the sleeves were to narrow )
4) I should have made the plaid go vertical... however, I was afraid I would run out of fabric. I have an extra yard at least.
5) I should have made it fasten with buttons in the front, but I wasn't thinking about that when I cut the fabric. I made buttons to just sew on the front, but then with the necklace I have, which is bigger than Jo's, the buttons would have been competing and wouldn't look very nice.
6) the bodice is an inch too long, I have decided. 

I will go back and fix some of those things.... but later :)

This dress has always been a favorite... ever since I started thinking about Little Women's costumes, anyways :)

My favorite quote from the book about this ball scene is:

"Jo's nineteen hairpins all seemed stuck straight into her head, which was not exactly comfortable, but, dear me, let us be elegant or die!"

According to the book, I believe the dresses Jo and Meg wore to the party were "poplins".... made of poplin fabric?

8 comments:

  1. You did a great job! I wish I had a talent for sewing, but I don't think I really do.
    I've got a new blog that I'd love for you to visit: http://bessbag.blogspot.com/ (it's about various randomness, as well, penned by a girl who loves Jesus).
    Also, I saw near the top of your blog that you have an interest in Scotland. I have always felt a strange connection to Scotland, & I always had a dream to go there solo. When I was 20, I got to go! I went for a week (mostly to the Highlands) - I didn't go with a tour, I didn't know a soul, & I had never flown before! It was such an adventure, & it was really an instance where I could clearly see God giving me the desire of my heart. Anyways, I'm thinking about going back to Britain this summer (I'm praying about it). Well, I hope you can stop by my blog & if you want to talk more about Scotland with me, let me know, & I'll be sure to e-mail you!
    -Bess-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress! It is so beautiful!
    I voted for you at "A Young Ladie's Blog" for the Little Women challenge!

    Allison Elizabeth ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an awesome job with your dress! Did you use any particular patter, or did you create it yourself? I've been looking for some patterns like that, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I used New Look 6824, then made the bodice shorter and more fitted. It is a very valuable pattern... and very versatile! I've used it about three or four times now, for many different styles of dresses. I've posted about it here (http://iradessa.blogspot.com/2010/01/dresses.html), and here (http://iradessa.blogspot.com/2010/01/dresses.html).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so lovely!
    I believe that dress of Jo's is my favorite one! Yours looks SO nice! I like it just how you did it! =]
    HA ha! We say that quote ALL the time!
    ~Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Celine! Just wanted to say hi and thanks for following our blog! I just voted for your dress over at the Little Women event. It is SO gorgeous! Jo's dress has always been one of my favorite movie costumes. Love your interpretation of it! Especially the tiny white lace on the neckline. You have a lovely blog and I look forward to looking at more of it!

    Have a lovely day!
    Genevieve
    (the eldest of thethree spinsters)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful gown! *sigh* i love it! lovely job in the fashion week!
    Aimee
    (quite the younger of the other spinsters above me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear from you! Just keep your language respectful (to God and others). :) Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails