(here's a pic before I finished the neckline... I have a shortage of time, so I got it from a previous post.)
There were a lot of things I realize I should have done with this dress.
1) I should have gathered the skirt with a large machine stitch, rather than pleats.
2) I should have made the sleeves wider.
3) I should have done the undersleeves (but I didn't once I realized the sleeves were to narrow )
4) I should have made the plaid go vertical... however, I was afraid I would run out of fabric. I have an extra yard at least.
5) I should have made it fasten with buttons in the front, but I wasn't thinking about that when I cut the fabric. I made buttons to just sew on the front, but then with the necklace I have, which is bigger than Jo's, the buttons would have been competing and wouldn't look very nice.
6) the bodice is an inch too long, I have decided.
I will go back and fix some of those things.... but later :)
This dress has always been a favorite... ever since I started thinking about Little Women's costumes, anyways :)
My favorite quote from the book about this ball scene is:
"Jo's nineteen hairpins all seemed stuck straight into her head, which was not exactly comfortable, but, dear me, let us be elegant or die!"
According to the book, I believe the dresses Jo and Meg wore to the party were "poplins".... made of poplin fabric?