Sunday, January 1, 2012

Red Quilted Taffeta--done!

This dress was whipped up in a few days to be worn for Christmas. I stumbled across this dress a few months ago, and decided to use up fabric from the stash.


Zac Posen Quilted Silk Taffeta Mini from Saks Fifth Avenue (no longer available, pics here)
The pattern was basically draped. I cut out the bodice bigger than it should be, and drew horizontal lines with tailor's chalk, ironed those lines in a crease, and sewed them. I repeated vertically, and pressed the pintucks. Then I pinned it to my dress form and put in darts.

I basically made up the sleeves and skirt, too. I'm pretty happy with the way this dress turned out, overall. :)

Posted by Picasa

Monday, December 12, 2011

Marian wedding and cape

Here are (some of) the Robin Hood play costumes at last!!!

Marian in our play had a "main" dress, a wedding dress, and a cape. I'm modeling them here, as I somehow couldn't download the pictures with the real cast (*sigh*). So my friend and I had a photo shoot.


Posted by Picasa
I sewed Marian's wedding dress out of a white brocade from Joann's, and put some upholstery cord at the neck line. The sleeves were inspired by this dress from Pearsons Renaissance Shoppe.

I draped/drafted/eyeballed the pattern for this one myself. It was really fun to design a costume and see it on stage! Very rewarding. :)


Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sheildmaiden: completed!

This dress was used in the Robin Hood play for a talented student violinist that provided us with our music for the show. :)

My lovely friend Brooke is modeling it for these pics, however, since I can't download the pics from the production. BTW, we added a long sleeve tee shirt underneath because it's absolutely freezing outside!

THe dress laces up in back, and the ties are directly tied on to the sleeves. As you can imagine, it takes awhile to lace someone into this outfit!

This dress was inspired by Eowyn's "Shieldmaiden" dress from Lord of the Rings:

The fabrics I used were actually a bedsheet (the cream) and the vest was made from a brown cotton sateen pillocase. I draped/eyeballed the pattern. 

Pics by my sister.

Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Green Eowyn Sleeves

I stumbled upon this fabric:
 (available here, $10/yd)
... that would be perfect for Eowyn's green dress from LotR!
 (or at least the same idea, and fairly affordable).


Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vogue 1044--for sale in the shop

 This pattern is the wrong size, so I'm selling it in my SHOP. Bummer.

It is a vintage reproduction, (from 1956!!!) uncut , sized 18, 20, or 22. I'm selling it for $3.99, while the retail price is about $30.

Check it out :)


Friday, June 10, 2011


I got 12 Vogue, Mccalls and Butterick patterns for $1 the Joann's liquidation.


NOTE: This is actually a really old post-- sorry it took so long! 

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Raspberry 50's dress

The completed project:
 Without cardigan:

The inspiration:
(from Mod Cloth, no longer available)

This was a fun, quick project. I wore it for my piano recital.

I used my old friend, New Look 6824 for the princess-seamed bodice and sash. However,
  • I didn't cut the bodice middle on the fold, but rather cut two and added seam allowance. I thought the seam would make it more vintage-y. 
  • I cut the necklines on my dress form. 
  • I drafted the multiple circle skirt.
  • I used an old pattern from the stash for my skirt's lining
The best part of this project was that the fabric was 75% off at the Joann's liquidation sale!!!! I bought the whole bolt of Party Taffeta, as it was only $1.50 a yard.

 Another fun project :)



Related Posts with Thumbnails